The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Friday, February 10, 2006

WMU (currently under construction)

I had to teach my class today, and I was in a hurry. Yep, recipie for disaster right there!

Anyhow, the university might be building and/or renovating on part of the campus. I say might be because, despite lots of chain-link fences, I do not notice anything being changed or built within them. But still, they are there, probably for a reason.

Lately, I have begun to think that the "reason" is to piss me off. They block off pretty large areas of the campus; nowhere that anyone would need to be, but rather they are all on the way to where people would want to go, like, oh, I don't know....THE BUILDING I TEACH IN! Since they block off large areas, you can't really just walk quickly around them. They're like pseudopods from amoebas, except they come out of buildings; they don't just block off an area, but for some reason also cut off everything near it as well.

So anyhow, I had to go around these areas, which were very randomly placed. Following the fences, I figured I'd get around them more quickly. Nope! These fences lead into buildings. Yes, that's right! There are places where you actually have to walk through a building as part of the detour. Oh, and the building doesn't always open to the other side either, so sometimes it also involves walking out of the building through a different exit, and circling back around, only to find another fence!

Add to this that I could see through the fences to where I wanted to be. It was kind of like when you drive in a large city with one-way streets, get to an intersection, need to be at the place half a block on the right, but can only turn left. I felt like I was a rat trapped in a chain-link maze! I got really angry about it, too, having to keep turning around and try again (yeah, I was not very good at these mazes). It was SO FRUSTRATING, feeling like I was caged in. I tried directing my anger directly at the fences, but they didn't budge.

I made it to class on time (which was more than I could say for some of my students). However, despite all my rage, I was still just a rat in a cage.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    No worries, Corey.... two wrongs don't make a right, but five rights make a left.

    I'd like to think I was clever enough to have made that up myself, but I bet I read it somewhere. I can't *remember* reading it before, so I'll claim credit.

    Now, the big question is... how do the rest of us go about getting our blog bookmarked on your site?

    Nice start, Corey!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home