The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Can dogs actually do that?!

I was walking my dog today, and something odd happened.

My dog is typically pretty calm, even outside. Sure, she'll get interested in a pile of something and really want to stop for an hour to sniff at it, but after a few seconds she usually will keep walking with me without much resistance.

Squirrels, however, are her crack-cocaine. Seriously, she sees a squirrel anywhere nearby, and she suddenly will sprint towards it, dragging my unsuspecting and unprepared body behind her until I can get a foothold. And even then, she's firmly planted at the other end of the leash.

My friend Alice believes that if Labrador Retrievers could talk, they would just constantly say "OH-BOY-OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY..." When Melisma sees a squirrel, it's more like "OH-MUTHA-FUKKA-HELLS-
YEAH-OHMUTHAFUKKAHELLSYEAHOHMUTHAFUKKAHELLSYEAH
OHMUTHAFUKKAHELLSYEAHOHMUTHAFUKKAHELLSYEAH......"

Anyway, we had such a moment today. It only lasted a minute or so, except she was actually able to sneak up on a squirrel and get pretty close (squirrels, however, are amazingly good at running up trees and disappearing from existence). Afterwards, I noticed that Melisma's nose was bleeding. A lot. So much so that she left a trail on the sidewalk for about a minute, and I had been seriously considering a trip to the doggie ER or something. However, I am certain that she never made contact with the squirrel, ground, or tree. And she didn't seem like she was in pain; on the contrary, she looked really, really happy.

Is it actually possible for a dog to get so excited that she gives herself a nosebleed?

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey!
    Nice blog. Well expressed. Patient yet pleasant wording. Parts of it brought a tear to my eye and a growl to my stomach. I will recommend it to every stranger I meet while on the grocery checkout line.
    A 9 out of 10... because there is always room for improvement.
    Alice
    Blog reporter for Left Handed Mothers Weekly

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh yeah... I am starting to think that it may have been one of the BIGGEST mistakes of my life to let you take that picture of me with gunk in my teeth. Although I may order the mug of it.
    Ali

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I were a betting man, which I'm not, because that would require money, and I just don't have such a thing ... I would bet the blood was from ... aliens. Yes, that's right, in that brief moment, time was stopped, and aliens landed, coating your dog's nose in a jelly like goo, and then returning to orbit to film the endeavor, because you, Corey, my friend, just got PUNK`D!

    Oh yes, that's right, your greatest fear, the bane of sophisticated existance, the creepy crawly noise you hear during a 9 man sleepover in the living room, after watching cartoons at 3 in the morning, the unbridled desire to hit a diner, a Chinese restaraunt, or to sit and play goofy video games where a man who looks like a brown hot air balloon can float like a feather, because, even though he is girthed, he only weighs 127 points, the certified diety of adorability has written a post! And it is nothing but disjointed, garbled, incoherant babble ... just like high school.

    By the by, Cor-meister ... why does that make me think of a 3rd rate German beer company? Oh well ... by the by, I love the blog. Not sure what the B stands for, though ... always figured it'd be an ilog, or wlog, or for those using the service, an aolog ... funky, huh? Oh my good God, Jon, shaddup!

    Anyway, I'll hit you with an email, with various notes and newsbits ... like I have any of those ... to send out to various people, such as Alice *Waves!* and my Rhode Island posse ... or what was ... has been a long time, might've moved, or sunk Rhode Island ... who has time to watch the news?

    Seriously ... gonna stop talking now. I just hate leaving little tidbits when I write. Speaking of writing ... (Warning: Shameless plug is in no way, shape, or form meant to offend, or upset, only to coax people who have a few moments of free time to waste it by reading babble I've written over the years in standards and/or paragraph form about ficticious people, thank you.) ... I included the link to my website, such as it is. Short stories and such. No pictures, though, thankfully.

    Wasn't I gonna stop talking? *Scrolls* Yes, yes I was. Anyway, love the site, glad it found it's way to me, I will get in touch soon ...yadda, yadda, yadda.

    -"The most adorable one in the world" Jon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home