The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Notice: I Will NOT Have to Work at a Supermarket Next Year

I have been searching for a position for next year, and I have been somewhat anxious about finding one. There are more new psychologists seeking positions than there are openings, and so I was worried that I would have to work at a supermarket or Taco Bell or something next year if I did not get a position. Well, for anyone vicariously worrying with me (or who is interested), worry no more (or continue to be interested, but with an answer)!

I was offered, and accepted, a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Dayton in Ohio. This is a position for new psychologists who have finished the doctoral degree, but need to build up 2000 hours (e.g. 52 weeks of full-time work supervised by a licensed psychologist) post-doctorate for licensure. As with 99% of post-docs, the pay isn't great (but livable), but I will get full benefits (including retirement, for some reason ;) ) and training while also working at a professional level.

I will be doing individual therapy, couples therapy, career testing/counseling, outreach, participating in supervision of graduate students, and learning disability/ADD testing. The people there are wonderful, and I expect that I will enjoy working with them very much! Dayton seems like a cool place to be for a year, and I will also get to be rather close to, and therefore visit, the people I care about here in Kalamazoo!

Nope, definitely don't have to work at the supermarket....at least, not anytime soon..... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home