The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Oh, the Week I've Had

Ah, the week I've had. Argh. Mostly.

For most of the week, the weather has been ugly. Rainy, gray, cold, and just plain depressing. The kind of weather that makes you feel irritable. Didn't help much that my dog LOVES the damp, cold weather (she also went nuts for the snow, too). So, I had to go outside and become miserable for her to be happy. I'm such a good daddy! :)

As for work, it is the start of the summer semester. Only one of my clients left my caseload at the end of the spring semester due to graduation; the rest are staying. Fine. But, apparently, the rest are also not all showing up this week. Monday was okay, but the rest of the week was less so. Without going into my entire schedule, I'll just summarize and say that, of the 28 hours of work I am paid to do between Tuesday and Friday, 17 of those hours were either canceled meetings or clients not showing up. Given that I didn't have 17 hours worth of other things to do this week (more like 3 hours), I was quite bored. And it was rainy and depressing outside my office window.

As part of my internship, the three interns have a two-hour block each week for "Intern Support Time" over lunch. This week, among other things, one of the other interns commented that I "need to have some fun before the end of the internship year." Apparently, she has decided that she is dissatisfied with the amount of fun I am currently having, as I have chosen not to walk around in the cold to see outdoor art presentations or make myself available to socialize with her crowd of people, who talk a lot about the environment and say things that make me feel badly about the food I eat. She is unhappy with my life, so I should change? Ummm, no.

The worst thing from this week was being blown off by a friend of mine, because her new boyfriend (who broke up with her last week, but recently changed his mind) wanted to talk with her. I hate being blown off, especially at the last minute, and especially when I was really looking forward to seeing someone. Pretty much every female friend I have had has stopped talking to me when they got a new boyfriend (either because they no longer bothered to make the effort, or because their boyfriend disapproved of our friendship). So, suffice it to say, I am rather sensitive to this. I have had it happen too often to trust that friends can have boyfriends and still be bothered with me. With this particular friend, tho, it may have been ironed out. We'll see.

On the positive side, I am still hopeful about the job at Ithaca (I am supposed to hear later this month whether I got the job). I also received three invitations for a telephone interview this past week. All three are for post-docs, and all three are in the Midwest (Dayton, Indianapolis, and Milwaukee), so I am not super-excited about them, but it is nonetheless good to have possibilities out there. Beats working at a supermarket next year!

And now I am bored again.....

2 Comments:

  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    Corey, I don't suppose it could be your overly masculine and stereotypically girlfriend-stealing demeanor which is scaring off all the boyfriends??

    Nah. Don't let their insecurity get you down.

    But do, by all means, let being stood up get you down. Drives me insane, too.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, yes. Here I am, the shitty friend who stood Corey up. Guilty as charged. It is also a pet peeve of mine, however, it somehow feels differently when you're amidst the dramatic situations that lead to such polarities of behavior. I apologize for the stupidity...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home