The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Movin' On Out

I moved to Ohio over a week ago. Then I neglected my blog for awhile. I have no idea why, but let's just blame it on terrorists (they are our nation's catch-all scapegoats, right?).

So as many of you know, the University of Dayton paid for my move, which was super-awesome. I didn't know it until shortly before my move, but this also included having the movers pack my things for me. I did not have to pack anything at all, which was really easy and weird for me. It was easy (and a little weird) because I just had all of my stuff out as if nothing were changing, and within 3 hours it was all gone. This made it feel very weird because, I have found, packing is a big part of moving. It really did not feel like I was moving because there was no build-up, no packing to do, no boxes to walk around, nothing. It wasn't until all my things were gone that it really hit me that I would be leaving.

Well, maybe that's not totally true....the previous Monday I had spent the day with my friend Zae. I think that's when it really hit me and I started to realize that I was moving away from Kalamazoo and the people there, and I began to mourn the loss and be sad. Then it all moved quickly from there.

Still, it was awesome to have all my stuff packed for me. The movers were cool, although it was kind of weird to have two guys going through all my stuff to put it into boxes. Not that I have any embarrassing things, but imagine if some random men came into your home and shuffled through your clothes, books, food, games, closets, bathroom, etc. They were very friendly, though, and we chatted a bit. Unfortunately, I forgot the most important rule about being a psychologist: when someone asks you what you do for a living, never ever EVER tell them that you are a psychologist. Ever! Why? It prompts questions from people such as one of the movers asked me: "If you're a psychologist, tell me this: Why are all women crazy?" (my answer, incidentally, was "Because they can be and men will put up with it." This avoided creating tension by lecturing him about feminism, as well as avoided pissing off the guy who had all my belongings in his truck.)

The movers packed everything, including my dirty dishes (which I had intended to wash and bring with me in my car) and about 10 empty plastic shopping bags for some reason....however, I had to encourage them to pack my vacuum and 30-pound bag of dog food.

Also, at one point the movers asked if I wouldn't mind running down to the corner to buy them some Gatorade. On the way to the corner, I thought it odd that they were trusting me, someone they just met, with their $5....then on the way back I thought that it was a safe risk on their part, seeing as how if I ran off with their money they would still have everything I own in their truck.....

One of the movers found my Rorschach (inkblot) cards. Not only did he recognize the name of the test, but he also began to complain about how he had a psychologist piss him off by asking him to tell her what he saw in the inkblots. "It doesn't friggin' look like anything! But she kept telling me to try....I told her that I'd try to shove it down her throat if she didn't stop bothering me." For those of you who do not know, the inkblot test is typically used when there are concerns about a thought disorder, stress/coping difficulties, or emotional problems.....and what he said about what he said to the psychologist giving him the test wasn't a good thing, either....and this guy was in charge of all my worldly possessions (with the exception of all the crap I still have stored at my dad's house).

ANYhow.....after all my stuff was gone, I spent a few hours in my empty apartment...just me and my dog....before heading over to my friend Caroline's house. She was nice enough to let me spend the night there with the air conditioner and fans I let her use, so I thought it only fair to bring her food from my fridge before moving. I am so very nice....

I also took Caroline to dinner to say good-bye before my move. While at dinner, a waiter began flirting with her right in front of me! We aren't dating or anything, but how the Hell did he know that? I don't like that, so I did the only thing I could do....when he came back and asked if we needed anything else, I calmly responded "I'm fine, but my wife would like some more water." That made him stop flirting with her real fast (Caroline was speechless). I am also very awesome.....

The trip down to Ohio the next day was pretty uneventful. All my stuff made it here intact, and I unpacked most of it that day. That was cool. Since the movers packed everything in moving paper, I got to unwrap it all while trying to guess what it was...kinda like Christmas, except I got surprised to receive things I already owned ("Yay, my sax stand....I'm so glad I own this!"). Wound up with a ton of boxes and enough wadded-up moving paper to keep homeless people warm for years to come!

My apartment is nice, although the walls, doors, windows, and door-trims are white. I may paint them; I'll have to see how I feel about it after being here for a little while and hanging up my art.

My dog had been afraid of the stairs to my bedroom...she's better about that now. However, she is still not eating or drinking as much as she had been in Kalamazoo, and isn't quite as playful. So sad, she's having a bit of trouble with the transition. But like I said, she's getting better....

The people I work with are all great, and I expect it to be a very enjoyable time working with them. I have been encouraged to pursue my interests, and am treated as an equal staff member. I have also been asked to lead a discussion in a professional development meeting on problematic Internet use/addiction. Should be fun!

Oh, and I now have real health insurance. Bring on the diseases! :-D

Cell phone is all hooked up, and I have even downloaded a few games that it turns out I don't enjoy so much. I have also quickly become one of those people who talks on the phone while walking my dog, going to the supermarket, and driving around. It will be so bad once I meet more people around here to call.

(yeah, I am working on that, too....)

Now all I need to do is finish putting away that box of extra computer cables and shoes, and meet some more people around here, and I will be all set.....until something else comes up, that is......

3 Comments:

  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Rama said…

    I hate when people flirt with my dinner guest too... even if it's another girl. I feel--tossed aside. Not a good feeling. Kudos to you for a tactful response! Enjoy Ohio.

     
  • At 1:47 AM, Blogger Kate said…

    You got to be what is affectionately known as a monkey wrench. In college, I had a friend who explicitly asked me to go out to help him pick up girls - apparently there's a theory that if someone is seen out with a member of the opposite sex without trading bodily fluids, then the observer already knows that (1) they are at least partially heterosexual and (2) they are non-annoying enough to at least warrant a night out.

    Not a philosophy I ever put to the test, but they say it takes all kinds...

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger lundy911 said…

    I'm glad you moved to Ohio!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home