The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Monday, July 02, 2007

Two Nuggets (of different sorts)

Nugget #1 (the Wisdom Kind): As a psychologist, I am privy to the finer details of people's relationship problems and successes. It is not my place to give clients advice, as they should be able to utilize their own wisdom and strengths in the service of change. However, I have noticed two disturbing trends which I feel obligated to convert into guidelines for the general dating public:

If you are an unattractive 18-22 year-old woman and your "soulmate" is unemployed, middle-aged, and lives in his friend's basement, love him to your heart's content (pun intended), but do not act surprised when he turns out not to be the perfectly sensitive and mature man you thought him to be. You might have known better.

Anytime you are doing something with your beloved which causes you to feel the need to get something in writing in order to avoid being screwed-over, it is probably either something you should not be doing or else someone you should not be doing it with.

Nugget #2 (the Fecal Kind): I informed my graduate school that I have passed my licensing exam and accepted a job as a Staff Psychologist in Atlanta. They sent me a congratulatory card addressed to"Mr. C**** A*****." Now then, I wouldn't typically take issue with being referred to as "Mr." on an envelope, but shouldn't the school that awarded me a doctorate know that, if they insist on addressing me formally, I am a doctor? It is like a priest who performed a wedding ceremony referring to the bride as "Miss [maiden name]." He should just be expected to know better....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home