The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Friday, February 23, 2007

Jobberizing

Once again it is that time of year for me (hopefully the last time that it will be a "time of year") to find a job for next year. I have had to do this each year since 2002, as all of my jobs and training positions have been contracted to last only one year. Hectic, but by this point it is familiar and I know my way around it.

Two years ago (2005 for you non-mathematicians out there) added a new twist. Up until then I had searched for jobs within reasonable driving distance of New Britain, CT, where I was living. In 2005 the search was expanded to include not only local position offerings, but also positions in ANY area to which I'd be willing to move. I wound up in Kalamazoo, Michigan (yes Virginia, there is a Kalamazoo...), and it turned out to be a fantastic place to live and work. I met wonderful people and it was all-in-all a great experience!

As I searched for jobs for this current year, I had wanted to move back east. However, I knew that the chances of finding a job would increase if I broadened my search beyond NY/CT/RI/MA, so I decided to apply to positions in states east of Michigan and north of North Carolina. I wound up in Dayton, OH, and I absolutely love my job. I also met a wonderful woman, so that is yet another reason to be glad I came. However, the job here, like all the others, would end in the summer of 2007.

Now, as I become more involved in the search for a new job, there are a few interesting elements thrown in.

My current position, although a one-year appointment, is hiring for a permanent staff psychologist. It is the same job I am doing now, and since I really like my job I am applying for it. However, the selection committee is considering my application along with anyone else who would like to apply before the March 2nd deadline, so it creates a weird situation where my coworkers will be interviewing other people for the job I want, while all along keeping me in the dark about their activities and decisions (appropriately so) as they engage in their process in offices adjacent to mine. I want the job, and I feel confident that I am liked personally and professionally, but it is still weird... So, until someone somewhere offers me a job, I will keep applying and (hopefully!) interviewing elsewhere.

Two of the members of the counseling center's selection committee are writing me recommendation letters for other jobs. I laugh a bit at the possibility that, if they choose to hire someone else, it can seem as if they are saying "Dear other people, Corey could be really great for you and we think very highly of him, but he's not good enough for us..." I think that's funny....

Oh, and my girlfriend and I may need to decide not only whether to move in together, but whether to move across several states together, eight months into our relationship. She is great, but it still feels weird to make such a decision so soon!

So, post comments and offer support!

Or don't, and be a dick....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home