The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Monday, February 27, 2006

Pumping Iron....err....I mean, Rubber

I've been meaning to get back to a gym again after moving out here. Today, I finally did so. I am now a proud member (well, I'm a member anyhow) of the WMU Recreation Center. I might have to pay, although that's not clear yet. Supposedly it costs $75 per semester to join as a staff member. However, they insisted on charging it to "my account," which to my knowledge I do not have. I don't suppose it will be much of a problem, tho. After all, they do know where I work. :)

So, my first day back since July went pretty well, although it will probably take a couple of weeks before I am back to lifting/pressing what I had been doing. I am devoting this Spring Break week ("Spring" apparently comes much sooner here) to kicking my body back into working-out. This means that I work my entire body quite hard (whereas typically I would do a more focused routine, with body parts split up over 2-3 days in the week). I intend to work my muscles to failure (e.g. 4 sets of 8 at high enough weights that my body will not be able to finish the last set). I should be very sore this week, which is a good thing, as it means I am working myself hard enough. My legs have been spaghetti for much of the evening.

Incidentally, the phrase "pumping iron" doesn't seem appropritate anymore. Most weights are being made of hard rubber. Somehow, I don't feel as manly "pumping rubber."

After I left the gym and came home to eat, I learned two very interesting things: 1) McDonald's has visibly changed the ingredients in their Honey Mustard Sauce, but for some reason it tastes exactly the same (so why change it in the first place?), and 2) My dog goes friggin' NUTS for the smell of Chocolate Protein Shake....ever see a dog beg to drink out of a glass? :-p

Let's just hope I am as excited tomorrow morning, when I most likely will groan with every movement....

1 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alright! Welcome back to the land of the moving, Corey. I am heading back to the gym this week too, after having not gone for consecutive days since right before Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can get back into a good routine again (maybe back to 5-8 miles a day running/elliptical come June?). Oh, and about McDonald's. Remember you eat McD's at your own risk. I believe that they can swap ingredients and the taste remains that same because of black magic. I think McDonald's dabbles in the dark arts and in deep frying (they go hand in hand). So enjoy your nuggets and be kind to your local McDonald's staff. They may have a Voodoo fry with your likeness. Eeks.
    Just be careful
    and Enjoy!
    Ali

     

Post a Comment

<< Home