The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I Got My License!!!!

Oh man, I am SOOOOO super-mega-psyched! I got my driver's license!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!

Last week I received a notice to report for jury duty in Kalamazoo, MI (just 3 weeks after moving to Dayton, OH). In order to get out of jury duty, I needed to send a copy of my OH state driver's license. But oh no! I did not have such a license!

It was a hectic week leading up to my licensing test. First, I had to find out where the DMV is located. THEN I had to go there to take the test (licenses do not simply transfer to OH). I racked my brain studying for the 30 seconds I was in line. Would I pass and receive the privilege of driving (driving is not a right - that's on the test), or would I have to rely on my parents to pick me up and drive me to work, the mall, and the movies, suffering the embarrassment of going on dates chaperoned with my dad? (b/c really, who does that after High School....shout out to Crazy Internet Girl! - see 2/14/06 blog entry) The waiting was killing me! I was trapped between wishing the 30 seconds I was in line would end and fearing that it would before I could learn all the rules of the road! THE HORROR!

So there I sat, in front of a computer terminal which would decide my driving fate. As I stared at the screen, I began to wonder not only whether I could pass this my driver's licensing test, but more so whether or not I should pass. Did I really deserve to drive an automobile? Was I worthy of the honor to be with other privileged individuals on the local highways and roads? Could I handle the responsibility that comes with driving? Would all the rules and laws (not to mention how to operate a motor vehicle) stay with me if I began driving? I almost buckled under all the pressure and got up to refuse to take the test.

"NO!" I cried out. "I will NOT be intimidated by this test and the attendent privileges and honors that are entailed in being legally permitted to operate a motor vehicle on state and national roadways, dammit!" I then burst into tears, proud of myself for believing in myself.

But would it be enough? Could I successfully answer enough questions about such obscure topics as "what do you do at a red light?" and "according to its turn signal, which way does the car in the picture intend to turn?" to pass this test? Would I be relishing in the thrill of victory, or weeping at the agony of defeat? Would I beat the test, or would the test beat me?

Thankfully, by the grace of Allah, I did pass the test. At learning this, I jumped into the air, right there in the middle of the DMV, and exclaimed "Whoo-HOOOO!!!!!! I PASSED!!!!!" I had expected ribbons and balloons to rain down upon me....you know, for my triumph....but none did so (perhaps they were out of balloons that day). Still, this did not sully my joy at being able to say that the state of Ohio from that point on recognized me as a competent, knowledgeable driver and entrusted me to operate a motor vehicle on its highways and roads.

I ran through two stoplights and one crosswalk on the way home.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on passing your driver's test!!! What an amazing accomplishment. I'm glad to hear that the state of Ohio finds your intensely road-raged, white-knuckled driving style appropriate.

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger lundy911 said…

    You forgot to mention that cat you ran over on your way home!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Indeed, I was impressed at your attainment of an Ohio Driver's license. I was even MORE impressed by your use of the word "sully." Way to go, impressively vocabularied roadway menace!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home