The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Multiculturalism (the color kind)

It is important for psychologists to be what we call "multiculturally competent," meaning that we need to be sensitive to, respectful of, and knowledgeable about differences between various groups. When I learned about multiculturalism and diversity in graduate school, I was told that this involved learning about and being aware of racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, and ability/disability differences. Now on internship, I am receiving a different message. Apparently, all we should concern ourselves about is skin color. Everything else is secondary, or else superfluous.

What makes me say this? I am participating in a multicultural rotation this year, which involves a series of six group meetings, some readings, and various projects. Every single one of these meetings, readings, and projects focuses on race. A few of them also talk about sexual orientation, but only as seen through a racial lens (e.g. black homosexuals). I did a presentation on therapeutic considerations when working with Hispanic gay and lesbian clients, but was told afterwards that the topic was "too complicated."

I should probably remind people reading this that I live in Kalamazoo, a very much predominantly-white area. I have worked at WMU for six months, and the most "diverse" client I have seen is an international student from France.

I am almost done with the multicultural rotation. I have one project left (and we three interns have given up on reading the same "it's hard being black/Hispanic, and all white people are racist" assigned articles), but I am having trouble with it. The assignment is to interview a culturally-different (again, read: "person of color") whom I do not know. I have a few problems with this. Firstly, if I do not know the person, then I basically need to walk up to someone and say some version of "Wow, I couldn't help but notice that you're black! Would you like to talk to me for two hours while I audiotape it?" I don't feel comfortable predicating a contact with someone with an intent to use them for my own needs and gain. I think that this is really disrespectful to them, and I do not like the idea of having to do it.

Secondly, the main source of people of color are poor black people who live on the north side of Kalamazoo, which I have been warned against venturing into, as it is a very much non-drug-free area with people looking to do anything for $5. If I can at all avoid it, I would really prefer to NOT request an interview from a band of crack whores.

When I voice my concerns to the seminar leader, who has "academic freedom" as a faculty member (which basically means that she can do whatever she wants and no one has any means to influence her), she tells me that "experiencing difficulty locating interviewees of color is all part of the process." Great. I already knew that it is hard to find black or Hispanic people in Kalamazoo. Now, apparently, I need to harass them at the supermarket. Again, this is contrary to my comfort and values, yet I still have to do it.

And if I DON'T do this project, I do not pass the multicultural rotation, which means I fail my internship. I do appreciate the irony that I being told to suppress my values and personal beliefs about interacting with others in order to demonstrate that I can respect the beliefs and values of others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home