The Deep Reservoir of Ok-Ness

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Life, Work, and the Mechanisms of Defense

Well, apparently it has been quite awhile since I have blogged, and I have even had one person (only one? :( ) complain, so time to update the internet community-at-large about my life. Oh, and I will try to be better about blogging in the future, too.

First off, I have a girlfriend. She is sweet and funny and nice. You'd probably like her, assuming that you like sweet, funny, nice women. If you don't, then talk to your mother about being such a bitch and screwing you up. Go on, I'll wait...........................

..........................................okay, done? Great.

Work is going well, although some of my co-workers begin each weekly staff meeting by asking whether I still have a girlfriend in a manner which implies that they might not be entirely certain that I could keep a woman for yet another week. I am working well with others, and I am enjoying what I am doing. I love most of the people I work with, although some can have their own....ummm...."non-complimentary interpersonal dynamics." I recently began co-leading a process group, which seems like it will be great - I work well with the other co-leader and the group itself is doing awesome stuff which, if you really want to know about, please refer to pages 15-472 of Irvin Yalom's book on group therapy. I sit in a training seminar with graduate students who, until recently, hadn't realized that I am a co-facilitating staff member, not part of their "let's learn about counseling" group. Big difference.

Overall, I am loving my post-doctoral experience. Nothing is perfect, but I am very happy I came to this Dayton place (wasn't I supposed to live in the Northeast?!). I would probably stay if I could.

I am also studying for my psychology licensing exam. Big, nasty test which asks questions about things I have never learned (like industrial psychology) and/or will never need to know (like test construction). The advice given by the company producing the study materials (which are quite good) is to study 15-20 hours per week for 3-4 months. I intend to take the test in March or April.

My dog chipped a tooth a few weeks ago. She is fine now, but was so sad for a few days while it healed over. She is still a happy dog, and hops around when I come home from work.

In general, I am enjoying myself and trying to live in the present while preparing for the future in multiple realms of my life.

Drifting along the deep reservoir of "Ok-ness."

3 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Rama said…

    I've heard good things about Ohio... at least, those I know from there seem to have enjoyed living there.

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for your update. We (myself and the dog) have all been waiting for it. My life now feels whole again. Thank you for vanquishing the dark lingering void. Very happy to hear you are happy! :) Alice
    PS. The entry time is off on the blog. I am entering this a little after 12am, not 9am.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, why didn't you tell us Melisma chipped a tooth?! Do you think we don't care?!

    Oh, and glad to hear you're not dead or anything.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home